I’m so glad you stopped by Living Well With Epilepsy (LWWE). LWWE was founded by me, Jessica Keenan Smith, back in 2009. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at around age 12, but I wanted the site to be more than my own personal blog. I hoped the site would become a resource the millions of other people living with epilepsy like me. So, from the beginning I shared information on epilepsy and stories I hoped others might find helpful. Over time, the site has grown into a place where people living with epilepsy now feel comfortable sharing their own personal stories.
Since 2013, the LWWE writing team has grown to include writers who are also living with epilepsy from around the world. Living Well With Epilepsy is all about living your best life, whatever that looks like to you! We have shared hundreds of articles on every facet of living with epilepsy. We generally cover health trends, healthy lifestyle, and what it is really like living with chronic illness as seen through the real life personal stories of those living with epilepsy. We hope you will find something useful and consider sharing your own story.
Since we blog about so many different topics we wanted to share a few highlights to get you started:
If you were just diagnosed with epilepsy:
- We’ve got articles on getting used to your new normal
- Are you worried about how epilepsy is going to affect your family, your loved ones or just generally complicate your dating scene? We have lots of stories that might help.
- If you are stressed about dealing with epilepsy at work, don’t worry we’ve got you covered
- Feeling like you are alone? Guess what, we have some pretty honest posts to show you are not the only one dealing with seizures and side effects.
- Do you have an EEG coming up and you are not sure what to expect? This one is great for kids or anyone who has never had an EEG!
Epilepsy at work:
- Heading back to work and not sure how to handle it? Check out these articles.
- If you are feeling like epilepsy is your only story, read this piece by Leila. She smashes that myth to bits.
- Not sure how you are going to commute to work now that you have been diagnosed with epilepsy? Here’s a piece on how an electric bike was the solution for one family.
- Worried about getting back and forth to the supermarket for lunches? Consider these tips for healthy eating.
Considering a different epilepsy treatment option:
- Have you been talking to your doctor about trying VNS? Here’s a VNS story you might enjoy. There’s plenty more too.
- Maybe you are considering RNS but you aren’t quite sure what it is. Here’s a story from Emily who had intractable epilepsy and received the RNS system.
- Thinking about trying the Ketogenic Diet? Read Jade’s story on the Ketogenic Diet here.
Epilepsy in real life
- Getting ready to go on vacation? Here are a few travel tips that might help.
- Engaged with epilepsy? Guess what you are not alone. Check out our series on relationships.
- Having a baby? We’ve got you covered.
- Taking the SAT’s? Yup we’re on it.
- Want to know more about epilepsy around the world? Check out our Global Epilepsy series.
- Worried about SUDEP and want to learn more? Check out our piece on SUDEP risk factors.
- Just want to know how other people are living with epilepsy?
Epilepsy Blog Relay
Every March, June and November we run our Epilepsy Blog Relay. These month long campaigns bring together all your favorite epilepsy bloggers three times a year. You can participate as a blogger or sponsor an upcoming relay.